Sunday, March 27, 2016

Homework 6

Why do you think "writing about what you know" leads to terrible stories?
Writing about what you know only leads to stories that fall flat. If you're only working with existing content, then you won't be able to expand creatively because you're constrained by someone else's.

Within your chosen major or career path, how can you make better stories? Or, what are some of your ideas to progress stories that you think are not finished?
Within communications, I think better stories stem from expectations not met. My ideas flow most when I come across something and it falls short of what I expect from high caliber productions. Mostly, it comes back to what I as a person, not a communications major, would want to come from something versus immersing myself completely as a communications major.

Within a creative practice, is working in a physical and/or non-digital way important to you? Describe how you do creative work (any writing, drawing, photography, playing sports -anything) independently from a computer. How does a computer enhance or take away from your creative process?
I feel similarly to Kleon in that I get more joy from physically experiencing something than observing it from behind a screen. I think the more I'm independent from my computer, iPhone and TV, the more creatively inclined I become. Being outside and without digital access is important to me because it forces me to revert to other means, which isn't exactly always obvious. In other words, it forces me to take the initiative to do.

What are the things you use to procrastinate? How do they then feed into the other areas of what you do or what you study?
I use TV to procrastinate a lot. I also find sleeping and socializing a good way to procrastinate. I relate a lot of my studies to things I've witnessed on different shows I watch and find that is my most relative way of thinking. Sleeping doesn't help much but I do compare studies and theories in Communications to how my everyday life works.

No comments:

Post a Comment